Nothing can ruin the holidays quicker than a nasty
slip and fall accident. The holiday season typically bring about a spike in the number of slip
and fall injuries due to increased snowfall, sleet, and icy grounds during
the winter months. These accidents can be extremely serious, as they can
potentially cause a person to suffer broken bones, spinal cord damage,
and head trauma. To help keep you safe, our firm has put together a short
list of tips that can be instrumental in keeping you upright this holiday season.
1. Wear slip-resistant shoes: Shoes with soles made of neoprene or some other slip-resistant material
can keep you on your feet when traveling over slippery surfaces.
2. Avoid carrying anything: It can be difficult to keep your balance if your arms are full. If you
need to carry anything, bring a backpack. This will keep your hands free
to stabilize yourself.
3. Watch your step: When stepping out of cars or off of curbs, check your footing before your
step. Examine your surroundings before moving.
4. Walk slowly: Take short, deliberate steps.
5. Grab handrails: When going up or down stairs, hold onto the handrails if there are any
available. They are there for a reason!
6. Clear outdoor walkways: After a snowstorm, shovel your walkways and spread ice-melting granules
or salt. These substances will melt the ice quickly and improve your traction.
7. Stay indoors: If possible, try to spend as much of your time indoors and away from the
harsh weather during winter.
Injured? Get a Team of
Super Lawyers® on Your Side
While the above tips can help reduce your chances of a fall, nobody can
foresee the unexpected. If you should be injured in a slip and fall accident
during the holiday season, an award-winning
Kingston personal injury lawyer from Mainetti, Mainetti & O’Connor, P.C. can help you pursue
compensation for your suffering. Having won millions of dollars on our
clients’ behalf, our attorneys have the vast knowledge and skills
you need to maximize your chances of securing a fair settlement. Best
of all, if we are not successful, you will not pay us a dime!
Get started by
contacting our firm online or by calling us today at (845) 340-4878.